UNIT 6: GENDER EQUALITY
Lesson 1: Getting started – Equal job opportunities
By the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Gain an overview of the topic Gender equality;
- Identify and use words and phrases related to the topic Gender equality;
- Identify and use the passive voice with modals.
2. Core competence
- Develop communication skills and problem-solving skills;
- Be collaborative and supportive in pair work and teamwork;
- Actively join in class activities.
3. Personal qualities
- Develop an awareness of gender equality in job choices and opportunities;
- Be respectful towards all genders.
- Grade 10 textbook, Unit 6 – Getting started
- Computer connected to the Internet
- Projector/ TV/ pictures and cards
1. kindergarten (n)
|a school for children between the ages of about two and five||trường mẫu giáo|
2. surgeon (n)
|a doctor who is trained to perform surgery||bác sĩ phẫu thuật|
3. medical school (n.phr.)
|a college or a department of a university where students study to obtain a degree in medicine||trường y|
4. pilot (n)
|a person who operates the controls of an aircraft, especially as a job||phi công|
- Ss may not know the meaning of job names presented in English.
- Ss may not know how to work in teams.
- Use pictures/ photos or some activities involved in the jobs to show them in the class.
Date of teaching
Unit 6: GENDER EQUALITY
Lesson 1: Getting started
* Warm-up: Charades
1. kindergarten (n) /ˈkɪndəɡɑː(r)tn/: trường mẫu giáo
2. surgeon (n) /ˈsɜː(r)dʒən/: bác sĩ phẫu thuật
3. medical school (n.phr) /ˈmedɪkl skuːl/: trường y
4. pilot (n) /ˈpaɪlət/: phi công
Task 1: Listen and read.
Task 2: True or false.
Task 3: Match the words.
Task 4: Complete the summary.
In each activity, each step will be represented as following
* Deliver the task
** Implement the task
**** Give comments or feedback
- To lead into the new unit.
* T divides Ss into 2 large groups. Every round a representative from each team goes to the board, facing the class. After T shows a word describing a job, the rest of the class uses their gestures to hint at that word without saying it out loud. The team whose representative guesses the word faster wins one point.
** Ss do as instructed.
*** Ss discuss and share other words/ phrases about jobs that they know, then take turns to write the words/ phrases on the board.
**** T checks and corrects if Ss spell or pronounce the words/ phrases incorrectly.
- T leads in the lesson: Which jobs are usually done by men or women? Although there are traditionally male and female jobs, do you think all jobs can be performed by both men and women? In this lesson we will find out how young people these days discuss gender equality in choosing their jobs.
|To help Ss use key language more appropriately before they listen and read|
* T asks Ss to look at the explanation and the photos to guess the meaning of new words.
** Ss say the Vietnamese meaning of the words.
1. kindergarten (n) /ˈkɪndəɡɑː(r)tn/: a school for children between the ages of about two and five
2. surgeon (n) /ˈsɜː(r)dʒən/: a doctor who is trained to perform surgery
3. medical school (n) /ˈmedɪkl skuːl/: a college or a department of a university where students study to obtain a degree in medicine
4. pilot (n) /ˈpaɪlət/: a person who operates the controls of an aircraft, especially as a job
*** Other Ss correct if the previous answers are incorrect.
**** T shows the Vietnamese meaning, says the words aloud and asks Ss to repeat them.