PRACTICE TEST 5
Choose a, b, c, or d that is the best alternative.
1. Be careful with that knife or ______ will cut ______!
A. yourself / you B. yours / your C. your / yours D. you / yourself
2. There’s no point ______ a new car this year.
A. to buy B. buying C. buy D. in buying
3. I never get an hour to ______.
A. I B. my C. myself D. me
4. You look tired. You ______ have some sleep.
A. shall B. might C. will D. should
5. Mary ______ come to help us, but nobody is sure.
A. should B. might C. can D. shall
6. ______ you like anything to drink? - No, thanks.
A. Would B. Should C. Needn’t D. Might
7. I am sorry ______ what happened ______ you yesterday.
A. at / for B. on / to C. about / to D. with / on
8. Peter is not accustomed ______ speaking ______ public.
A. to / in B. from / on C. for / at D. with / about
9. Most people think ______ computers ______ very modern inventions.
A. about / up B. for / on C. on / with D. of/ as
10. Her new book is supposed ______ very good.
A. is B. be C. to be D. being
11. There is nothing worth ______ in this newspaper.
A. read B. to read C. reading D. for reading
12. She kept ______ herself that nothing was wrong.
A. tell B. to tell C. told D. telling
13. She began cleaning the wound with ______
A. a piece of cloth B. a piece of cloths C. a bar of cloth D. a bar of cloths
14. Our current assignment requires ______ reading.
A. many B. a few of C. quite a bit of D. too many of
15. ______ are marching along the streets.
A. Thousand of people B. Thousands of people
C. Thousand of peoples D. Thousands people
16. She ______ English very well although she ______ to England.
A. speaks / has never been B. has spoken / was never
C. has spoken / is never D. will speak / had never been
17. We can go out now. It ______ any more.
A. did not rained B. will not rain C. has not rained D. is not raining
18. ______ pregnant for 5 months next week?
A. Is she B. Has she been C. Had she been D. Will she have been
19. Their grandfather seemed to be badly ill, so they immediately ______ the doctor.
A. called off B. sent for C. put through D. give up
20. The country’s worsening reputation does not seem to be ______ the tourists.
A. taking down B. spending out C. speeding up D. putting off
21. He took his time ______ a cigarette, and smoked leisurely.
A. picking on B. taking in C. lighting up D. making for
22. The moon will rise ______ the sun sets.
A. before B. as soon as C. until D. for
23. ______ he left, he made sure he had his keys with him.
A. As though B. If only C. Before D. Unless
24. ______ I told the truth, you would not believe me.
A. As B. But C. Since D. Even if
25. ______ the weather like?
A. What is B. How does C. Which are D. When do
26. How much does that computer cost? - ______
A. It takes three days B. $1,000 C. Three days ago D. Twice a week
27. Peter caught a taxi, ______?
A. doesn’t he B. did he C. didn’t he D. isn’t he
28. Three-quarters of the teachers ______ against omitting university entrance exams.
A. is B. has been C. have been D. was
29. Rickets ______ a disease that children can get when their food does not contain enough Vitamin D.
A. is B. are C. were D. are thought to be
30. Furniture ______ of large objects such as tables, chairs, or beds.
A. consist B. consists C. were consisted D. are consisted
31. ______ lived in the United States.
A. Peter and Mary grandfather B. Peter’s and Mary grandfather
C. Peter’s and Mary’s grandfather D. Peter and Mary’s grandfather
32. Someone is waiting for you at the ______
A. front door B. front’s door C. door front D. front of door
33. This ______ was built in 1937.
A. first cinema town’s B. town of first cinema
C. town’s first cinema D. town first cinema
34. ______ seems to be to enjoy himself.
A. That was his only purpose in life B. With his only purpose in life
C. It was his only purpose in life D. His only purpose in life
35. Do you know the man ______?